Tennessee Promise Director
The Tennessee Promise provides Tennessee high school graduates the opportunity to go to a community college tuition-free for a total of five semesters. Students must meet all Motlow and tnAchieves deadlines in order to receive the Tennessee Promise Scholarship. The step-by-step guide is a complete list of instructions on how to apply for and receive the Tennessee Promise Scholarship.
The Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the HOPE scholarship, or TSAA. While removing the financial burden is key, a critical component of Tennessee Promise is the individual guidance each participant will receive from a mentor who will provide guidance and assistance as the student enters higher education. In addition, students will be required to complete eight (8) hours of community service per term enrolled, as well as maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA).
High School Seniors of Class of 2018 Requirements
In order for current Tennessee high school seniors to participate in the program, they must meet the following requirements and deadlines:
- Apply for the Tennessee Promise by November 1, 2017, at TNPromise.gov
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Motlow application by January 16, 2018
- Attend first mandatory meeting
- Attend second mandatory meeting
- Complete 8 hours of community service by July 1 and submit proof at tnAchieves.org
- Attend third mandatory meeting
- Log into your Motlow student account and complete all Financial Aid student requirements by June 1, 2018. Failure to submit all financial aid requirements by this date will result in the delay or loss of the TN Promise Scholarship
Current Motlow Tennessee Promise Students
In order for current Motlow Tennessee Promise students to maintain their Promise scholarship, they must meet the following requirements and deadlines:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Complete 8 hours of community service July 1 for Fall, by December 1 for Spring, and by April 1 for Summer, and submit proof at tnachives.org
- Complete the FAFSA between October 1 and January 16 every year and continue to complete the Motlow State financial aid requirements by June 1.
TN Promise can also cover the cost of a student’s summer classes; however, a student must complete 8 hours of community service by April 1st and submit proof. Students must also be enrolled full-time for the summer in order to receive TN Promise funds for the summer semester.
Review Frequently Asked Questions & Answers to learn more and let your TN Promise begin at Motlow!