Jonathan Graham, Tennessee Promise Director
The Tennessee Promise provides Tennessee high school graduates the opportunity to go to a community college tuition-free for a total of five semesters. Students must meet all Motlow and tnAchieves deadlines in order to receive the Tennessee Promise Scholarship.
The Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the HOPE scholarship, or TSAA. While removing the financial burden is key, a critical component of Tennessee Promise is the individual guidance each participant will receive from a mentor who will provide guidance and assistance as the student enters higher education. In addition, students will be required to complete eight (8) hours of community service per term enrolled, as well as maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA). Tennessee Promise students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester to remain eligible for the Tennessee Promise Scholarship.
High School Senior Class of 2020 Requirements
In order for current Tennessee high school seniors to participate in the program, they must meet the following requirements and deadlines:
- November 1, 2019: Deadline to Complete the TN Promise Application
- February 1, 2020: Deadline to Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- March 2020: Suggested date to complete and submit Motlow State admissions application and submit the following additional Motlow State admissions requirements during senior year of high school:
- Proof of Citizenship (TN driver's license or birth certificate)
- Registration for Selective Service (males only)
- Final High School Transcripts and ACT scores
- Immunization Health History Form
- Fall/Spring: Attend Mandatory Meeting Coordinated by tnAchieves. To find your meeting date, time, and location, visit TN Achieves or ask your guidance counselor
- April - August, 2020: Check your Motlow email and MyMotlow account regularly for important information about how to sign up for New Student Orientation, admissions requirements, financial aid requirements, etc.
- June 1, 2020: VERY IMPORTANT - Log into your MyMotlow account student account and have all Motlow financial aid requirements completed by this date. Students who do not complete their Motlow financial aid requirements will not receive ANY financial aid, including TN Promise
- May - July 2020: Sign up for New Student Orientation and register for classes. Tennessee Promise students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester.
- July 1, 2020: Deadline to complete and submit 8 Hours of Community Service online
Current Motlow Tennessee Promise Students
In order for current Motlow Tennessee Promise students to maintain eligibility for the Promise scholarship, they must meet the following requirements and deadlines:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA by the end of each summer term
- Complete 8 hours of community service: by July 1 for Fall, by December 1 for Spring, and by April 1 for Summer, and submit proof
- Complete the FAFSA between October 1 and February 1 every year and continue to complete the Motlow State financial aid requirements by June 1.
- Enroll in at least 12 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester.
TN Promise can also cover the cost of a student's summer classes; however, a student must complete 8 hours of community service by April 1st and submit proof. Students must also be enrolled full-time for the summer in order to receive TN Promise funds for the summer semester.
Review Frequently Asked Questions & Answers to learn more and let your TN Promise begin at Motlow!