The Tennessee Promise provides Tennessee high school graduates the opportunity to go to a community college tuition-free. Students must meet all Motlow and tnAchieves deadlines in order to receive the Tennessee Promise Scholarship. The step-by-step guide is a complete list of instructions on how to apply for and receive the Tennessee Promise Scholarship.
The Tennessee Promise is both a scholarship and mentoring program. It provides students a last-dollar scholarship, meaning the scholarship will cover tuition and fees not covered by the Pell grant, the HOPE scholarship, or TSAA. While removing the financial burden is key, a critical component of Tennessee Promise is the individual guidance each participant will receive from a mentor who will provide guidance and assistance as the student enters higher education. In addition, students will be required to complete eight (8) hours of community service per term enrolled, as well as maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 GPA).
High School Seniors of Class of 2016 Requirements
In order for current Tennessee high school seniors to participate in the program, they must meet the following requirements and deadlines:
- Apply for the Tennessee Promise by November 2, 2015, at TNPromise.gov
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and a Motlow College application by February 15, 2016
- Attend first mandatory meeting coordinated by TN Achieves by February 15, 2016
- Attend second mandatory meeting coordinated by TN Achieves by April 15, 2016
- Attend third mandatory meeting coordinated by TN Achieves by September, 2016
- Log into your Motlow student account and complete all Financial Aid student requirements by June 1, 2016
Current Motlow Tennessee Promise Students
In order for current Motlow Tennessee Promise students to maintain their Promise scholarship, they must meet the following requirements and deadlines:
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Complete 8 hours of community service by August 1 for Fall 2015, by December 1 for Spring 2016, May 1 for Summer 2016, and submit proof
- Complete the FAFSA by February 15 every year
- Complete TN Promise Renewal Application by July 1, 2016
Note: The TN Promise can also cover the cost of a student’s summer classes; however, a student must complete 8 hours of community service by May 1st and submit proof here. Students must also be enrolled full-time for the summer in order to receive TN Promise funds for the summer semester.
Review Frequently Asked Questions & Answers to learn more and let your TN Promise begin at Motlow!